Your "WHY"


Photo by Pixabay from Pexels


Last year my staff watched the viral video, “Know Your Why”, from comedian Michael Jr.  If you haven’t watched it, I recommend you get on that! It is only a few minutes long and has a great message! If you don’t know how to work YouTube, live under a rock, or just don’t want to spend 3 minutes and 49 seconds of your life on it, the basic premise is that if you know your “Why”, your “What” becomes more impactful. How we applied this to education, was that our “What” is educating children, but we all have a different “Why”. We had each staff member take some time to reflect on their “Why”. We then took a strip of colored paper and wrote our “Why” in 1 or 2 words. These were placed on the wall right above where everyone signs in every morning with the phrase, “Remember your Why”. Every day, each staff member could find their word or even look at others’ words for motivation and to refocus before the day begins. 

This knowledge of your “Why” is important for so many reasons. High on the list of importance is that it provides a deeper meaning to your “What”. It can also provide clarity and focus to your goals. It becomes easier to focus on what’s important to you. This sense of purpose also provides a booster shot of passion. Passion for your work leads to increased commitment and drive.

  A big part of what makes you, you is your “Why”. We all have a purpose or calling that is unique to us! We all have a special gift or gifts! I base my “Why” off of three truths. First, I have a gift that is unique to me. Second, there are people put in my life that need my gift. Lastly, the collision of my gift and the need is my “Why”. 

Another way to look at your “Why” is to think about it as your purpose. To me, your purpose is a combination of your talents, passions, values, and expertise. These are all areas to look at as you establish your own unique “Why”.  What are you good at? What do you LOVE doing? What is important to you? What are you an expert at?



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mental Health and SEL

What's Important

5 Ways to Support Parents During Emergency Distance Learning