I'm Sorry

On this Friday I have so much to be grateful for. I have a job that I LOVE that impacts so many, an amazing family, my health, a house, food, great friends, the list is literally endless. I am a Christian, so I also have my faith and God.  I am truly, irrevocably blessed. 


But today, no every day for months, I’m heartbroken. I’m heartbroken because it is 2020 and we STILL have significant, major, inexcusable racism and violence. Honestly, I am heartbroken because it took me until 2020 to fully realize this. I guess I was in my own bubble. I live in a small town out in west Texas, we are pretty isolated, but that isn’t an excuse. I have really lived my life separate from all of the pain and hurt that still takes place in our country and pled ignorance. For this,


I am sorry.


I am sorry that I haven’t done or said anything. I am sorry that I have largely ignored such a massive issue. I am sorry to all of my friends, colleagues, students, family, acquaintances, EVERYONE of color that I haven’t stood up for. 


I cannot imagine what you go through. I can’t imagine looking my children in the eye and trying to get them through this racism on a day to day basis. Dealing with the fear that must be omnipresent. 


As a white male, I’m not going to say I understand what you are going through. I can’t and I won’t say that. That would marginalize the issue and be a disservice to the severe injustices taking place. 


I can say, I will do better. I will be better. I will take a stand. I will do everything in my power as an educator to speak up and speak out! Our job as educators is to inspire. This includes not allowing our black population to be intimidated or discriminated against. It includes standing up for injustices and fighting for what is right. 


George Floyd’s life matters. His legacy matters. The brutality that led to his death is vile. It is murder. Enough is enough.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What's Important

Mental Health and SEL

5 Ways to Support Parents During Emergency Distance Learning