Lists

How many of you like making lists? Are you a list person? I wouldn’t consider myself a TRUE list person, but I do make lists of my objectives for the day, the stuff I want to get done. We all know those TRUE list people, it is color-coded, using flair pens, with doodles to match. They make lists for EVERYTHING. That isn’t me, but I do find some pretty intense satisfaction marking things off of my list! I suppose the feeling people get when they watch the millions of “oddly satisfying” videos on YouTube, that’s the feeling of perfectly marking through the next item on my list. There are many benefits of lists. It is well documented, with the research to back it up, I might add. Here is a list of some of the benefits of  lists:

  • It helps create order.

  • It helps prioritize tasks.

  • It provides a sense of productivity.

  • It relieves stress.

The list of the benefits of list-making could go on and on. Lists really are a great productivity tool. I highly suggest for everyone to channel their inner “list person” and make this a part of your daily or nightly routine. I sometimes make my list for the next day the night before or before I leave work for the day. I need lists. Just ask my wife. I WILL NOT come home with the correct items from the grocery store without one.  I want to get this out there...


I am pro-lists. 


Wow that feels good to say…


I also want to get this out there…..


This is not a post about the importance and benefits of lists. 

While the benefits are important and can aid in a feeling of accomplishment. How many times, especially at work, do you actually finish that list? How many times do you have to carry over one, two, or ALL of the things on your list? That is what this post is about. How you react to those times of the unexpected. I can’t think of a day in which I didn’t have an unexpected visit from a parent, teacher, or student. I can have a rock-solid plan for my day and before 8:00 am that is out the window!  

Every day has the unexpected. We make our “to-do” lists. We have our plan, but interruptions that we never saw coming invade our lives and usher in the unexpected. It's how you handle the unexpected that determines the "success" or "failure" of your day, not the lists. Do you react with frustration? Anger? Defeat? Anxiety? Or do you react in a positive manner? Typically things that come up are things you are needed for! Use that as a positive! There are needs that had to be taken care of and you were the one for the job! Those challenges that presented themselves during the day were opportunities to grow and develop yourself and those around you! A change in perspective can very literally change your life! 


We all have interruptions to our plans. We all make plans. Plans are good, plans provide a guide. We really have to expect the unexpected. We can have the best of intentions! Occasionally, the plans laid out with the best intentions don’t come to fruition. Sometimes we fail. Sometimes things get rough. Sometimes everything is pointing us away from where we think we need to be or where we envisioned being. 

Good. 

It makes success that much sweeter!


Lists and plans are vital and necessary. We have to map out what we need or want to get done. They are necessary for our future successes. There are very few people that just float through life without direction and they become successes. We need game plans or lists for everything! This could be at the grocery store, for the day, or long-term goals and ambitions. It feels great to check off items from our lists! We love being productive. It feels good. The people that become truly successful also handle the frustration of not completing that list, of “failing” in a manner that pushes them to be better. Our mindset and outlook during these times are what truly make the difference.

I will leave you with this charge:

Make your lists, follow-through, but be ready to change up your plan when the unexpected shows up, it usually does!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What's Important

Mental Health and SEL

5 Ways to Support Parents During Emergency Distance Learning